There’s a saying that you can’t dance at two weddings on the same evening. For some people, that may be true, especially if you want to be at each wedding for the entire meal, watch the entire ceremony at each wedding, be there at the very end at both…. but I’ve seen it done. You hit the ceremony at one, you eat the meal at the other. You celebrate with both couples. They’re happy, you’re happy— it works. It takes some finesse and some advance planning though.
Same with direct selling. There are those who never should promote two direct sales or network marketing businesses at the same time— they simply don’t have the planning to make it work. But, there are those of us, myself included, who make an income from more than one company at the same time. Someone asked me for tips this week, so I figured it would make a good blog post. Here are my recommendations if you are going to “dance at two weddings”:
1) Have a blog post explaining what you do. Here’s mine. http://heatheramyprice.com/what-do-you-do/ Have an ABOUT page on your website that also explains. Here’s mine. http://heatheramyprice.com/about/ Make it clear what your primary focus is.
2) Have ONE website/blog which leads other places. I used to have a skin care blog AND a direct sales blog but keeping up with both was impossible. Now my main address is http://heatheramyprice.com
3) Have ONE facebook fan page. I have people there who want the skin care tips, people who want the direct sales tips, and people who don’t know yet why they’re there.
4) Push great info to your fb page, linked in, and twitter daily. Hashtag it so people get used to looking for your posts. I have #freeskincarehelp and #tweetingandlinking — I also contribute almost daily to #dstips
5) Have SEPARATE email lists for each business, plus a main one. When people come to me from squeeze pages they land on an email list specific to their interest, AND they get my main newsletter. From http://heatheramyprice.com they sign up for my main newsletter.
6) don’t depend on your company email system to be the way you contact your peeps. Too many direct sales businesses have gone down, taking client emails with them. Those direct sellers who’ve had email addies in aweber, etc have been able to change businesses but keep their clients. Also if you get kicked out of a company for any reason you have a way to contact your downline and clients immediately (it’s happened to people!).
7) Put your fan page as your “works at” on your facebook profile. People will click there, go to your fan page, and learn more about you and your businesses.
8) Make sure you’re representing DIFFERENT companies. Don’t promote two candle companies or two skin care companies at the same time. The products you provide from each of your companies should be substantially different.
9) Don’t BEGIN more than one company at the same time. I started with one company in 2000, one in 2008, and one in 2012. That gave me plenty of time to have a rhythm going with each company before adding.
I hope that’s helpful! In the comments let me know if you’re with more than one company and how you’re making it work!
Aside from parenting special needs twins, Heather Price represents three direct sales and network marketing companies. She started with a popular skin care/ cosmetics company in 2000, and added the greeting card and video email companies in 2008 and 2012 specifically to encourage other direct sales professionals to use out of the box tools to promote their businesses. Heather enjoys selling the products and building teams with these companies. Do you need extra income? You can find out more from the “work with Heather” pull down menu at http://heatheramyprice.com In 2012 she added social media services to her portfolio. For a limited number of clients, she tweets, pins, posts, connects, curates content, uploads videos, and generally explodes the social media presence of small businesses. Heather’s businesses can be found at http://shopskincarewithheather.com , http://cardswithheather.com , and http://videoemailswithheather.com . To ask Heather about her social media services, put your info here: http://heatheramyprice.com/social-media-services/